|Division of Chemistry and Toxicology|
|Newborn Screening Section|
Robert Guthrie (1916 - 1995) The "Father of Newborn Screening." Courtesy of Whatman, Inc.
The State of Michigan introduced newborn screening in 1965 when laboratory technology to identify newborns with phenylketonuria (PKU) first became available. In 1977, a test for congenital hypothyroidism (CH) was added, and in 1985, galactosemia screening was initiated. Public Act 14 of 1987 mandated further expansion. This Act added the three disorders; biotinidase deficiency, maple syrup urine disease (MSUD), hemoglobinopathies (sickle cell), designated the state laboratory as the sole testing site, mandated a fee to fund the program, and added comprehensive follow-up, medical management centers, and quality assurance. A seventh test for congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) was added in 1993. Since 1965, more than four million Michigan newborns have received the newborn screening panel of tests shortly after birth.